Applied Data Science and Analysis Engineer
Applied Data Science and Analysis Engineer
This position is available in all of our locations. If you have a preferred location please specify when you apply.
ATA is seeking an engineer interested in applying analytical skills to conduct both research and applied project work involving the design and advanced analysis of systems with challenging loading environments and/or advanced materials. Candidates with expertise and interest in software development, statistical analysis/uncertainty quantification, and machine learning are of particular interest.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform aerospace and mechanical engineering analysis project work with emphasis on solving problems requiring expertise in analysis of composite and/or additively manufactured materials using advanced CAD/CAE software and statistical interpretation of results. Applications may include polymer, ceramic, carbon, metallic matrix composites, or additively manufactured materials used in aerospace, defense, industrial, and consumer products. Methods will include machine learning, data mining, and uncertainty quantification of results.
- Participate in and lead IRAD and sponsored research (e.g., SBIR/STTR) in development of novel composite material models and analytic methods including statistical representation of properties and strengths.
- Write proposals, technical reports, and papers.
- Provide results to clients that satisfy quality, cost, timing, and other project specifications.
- Prepare and give oral presentations to clients and at technical conferences.
- Analysis specialties may include one or more of the following categories:
- Application of machine learning algorithms
- Uncertainty quantification of predictions of structural performance
- Modeling of diverse composite and additively manufactured materials and components
- Application of statistical analyses to discover optimal solutions: e.g., accommodation of test data scatter, or implementation of methods for best fit for correlation of test and simulation results
- B.S., M.S., or Ph.D. in Aerospace, Mechanical, Structural, or Computer Engineering, or Materials Science with excellent academic record.
- Mathematical strengths related to stochastic processes, machine learning, and uncertainty quantification.
- Programming expertise.
- Familiarity with the finite element analysis methodology.
- Willingness to travel and work at client sites.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- U.S. citizenship and eligibility to access government and Department of Defense classified facilities.
- Willingness to learn so as to acquire any of the additional characteristics listed below that are not already in the skill set.
Additional Characteristics of the Ideal Candidate
- Experience with finite element analysis software: Nastran, Abaqus, NX, ANSYS
- Knowledge of composite material theory and engineering, including laminate theory and anisotropic elasticity, composite strength and failure theories, static and dynamic stress analyses.
- Knowledge of composite material testing standards and processes.
- Background with ceramic matrix and carbon/carbon composites.
- Programming experience: Python, Fortran, MATLAB.
How to Apply
We appreciate your interest in ATA Engineering and request that you submit the following materials if you are qualified and wish to join our team of employee-owners at ATA Engineering:
- A current resume or CV.
- A copy of your up-to-date college transcripts. You may email them, or request that an official transcript be sent directly to the address below. If your transcript contains identifying information such as Social Security Number and/or date of birth, please delete this information prior to submitting your transcripts.
- A statement regarding your U.S. citizenship.
Please note: we prefer electronic copies of all documents, but you may also mail them to the address below if necessary. Many of our contracts require access to government, defense, and classified information. We cannot consider your application unless you are a U.S. citizen or U.S. Permanent Resident. Unless you specifically state otherwise in your cover letter or email, you will be considered for all current openings at all ATA locations. Once we have reviewed your qualifications, you will be contacted by email regarding the status of your application.
Email all documents to email@example.com
Or mail them to:
Manager, Human Resources
ATA Engineering, Inc.
13290 Evening Creek Drive South, Suite 250
San Diego, CA 92128
ATA Engineering, Inc., is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.