Assistant Shop and Facilities Manager
Assistant Shop and Facilities Manager
ATA Engineering, 13290 Evening Creek Drive South, San Diego, CA 92128
ATA Engineering, Inc., is an employee-owned engineering consulting company seeking a motivated and organized individual to fill our new position of Assistant Shop and Facilities Manager. The position will support fabrication and testing activities for all types of mechanical hardware across a variety of industries, including themed entertainment, aerospace and defense, and industrial machinery, and will also work closely with our Facilities Manager and security and IT teams to maintain current company operations and facilities and support future growth. The successful candidate will be able to quickly adapt to new projects, support multiple concurrent projects, and collaborate frequently with small and medium-sized engineering teams. They will be detail oriented with logical thinking skills, and they will have mechanical aptitude and physical dexterity for common power and hand tool usage. Daily tasks include low-quantity fabrication (both manual and NC milling and turning), precision equipment maintenance and shop upkeep, ensuring adherence to shop safety protocols, interpreting electrical and mechanical drawings, and following assembly and repair instructions. An ideal candidate will have experience in all of the above.
This is a full-time position (40 hours per week with benefits and occasional overtime). A part-time option may be considered. ATA is headquartered in San Diego, California, but serves clients globally. This opportunity is based in our San Diego office.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform regular and unscheduled shop and machine maintenance tasks
- Maintain a safe and clean shop and engineering lab environment
- Manage tool and stock inventory and organization
- Support fabrication and machining (low quantity), assembly, and occasional repair of mechanical and electrical systems, according to engineering drawings, schematics, and work instructions
- Support development of policy and process documentation relevant to shop activities
- Collaborate with engineering teams on lab reconfiguration projects
- Support test programs by performing supplemental activities, including setup, teardown, and instrumentation calibration
- Maintain and track test equipment and prepare large shipments
- Perform equipment, part, and material receiving duties, including part inspection
The ideal candidate will have all of the following qualifications.
- U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- Two to five years of lab/shop maintenance or fabrication and assembly experience and/or equivalent educational or training classes in a relevant program
- Experience with machine tools (mill, lathe, drill press, etc.) and precision measuring instruments (micrometer, calipers, height gage, etc.)
- Strong interpersonal skills and experience working in technical teams
- Ability to work productively without close supervision
- Good English verbal and written communication skills to prepare clear and unambiguous documentation
- Ability and willingness to travel to customer sites (within and outside of California)
- Excellent driving record and current California driver’s license
- Experience with 2D and/or 3D CAD software (e.g., SolidWorks or Siemens NX) and G-code is a plus
- Welding experience is a plus
Relocation assistance is not available for this position.
How to Apply
We appreciate your interest in ATA Engineering and request that you submit the following materials if you are qualified and wish to join our team of employee-owners at ATA Engineering:
- A current resume or CV.
- A copy of your up-to-date college transcripts. You may email them, or request that an official transcript be sent directly to the address below. If your transcript contains identifying information such as Social Security Number and/or date of birth, please delete this information prior to submitting your transcripts.
- A statement regarding your U.S. citizenship.
Please note: we prefer electronic copies of all documents, but you may also mail them to the address below if necessary. Many of our contracts require access to government, defense, and classified information. We cannot consider your application unless you are a U.S. citizen or U.S. Permanent Resident. Unless you specifically state otherwise in your cover letter or email, you will be considered for all current openings at all ATA locations. Once we have reviewed your qualifications, you will be contacted by email regarding the status of your application.
Email all documents to HR Director, email@example.com
Or mail them to:
Director, Human Resources
ATA Engineering, Inc.
13290 Evening Creek Drive South
San Diego, CA 92128
ATA Engineering, Inc., is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request an accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access our career center as a result of your disability. To request an accommodation, contact an ATA Engineering, Inc., Human Resources Representative at firstname.lastname@example.org.