Location: ATA Engineering, 13290 Evening Creek Drive S, San Diego, California 92128
ATA is seeking a mechanical designer with a strong interest in designing and fabricating all types of mechanical hardware, from high-tech industrial machines, to entertainment and theme park show action equipment and rides, to aerospace ground support equipment and flight hardware. The successful candidate will be able to quickly adapt to new projects and be open to occasional travel to customer sites. Experience working with SolidWorks (modeling and drafting) is essential. ATA Engineering, Inc., is headquartered in San Diego, California, but serves clients globally. This opportunity is based in our San Diego office.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with early concept designs and produce solid models and production-ready drawings to support fabrication and assembly with guidance from engineering staff.
- Identify, size, select, and purchase commercial off-the-shelf hardware as needed for a particular design.
- Maintain thorough knowledge of commonly used engineering materials and manufacturing processes.
- Perform basic design calculations to aid in the sizing of purchased or simple custom-designed parts.
- Produce complete manufacturing documentation consisting of 3-D CAD models, assembly and detailed drawings, and parts lists (including appropriate geometric dimensioning and tolerancing [GD&T] consistent with the ASME Y14.5 standard, surface finishes, and materials selection).
- Assist engineering staff with producing fabrication orders.
- Interface with suppliers as necessary to support the procurement of prototype or production components and assemblies.
- Occasionally perform light machining operations on a lathe or mill.
- Occasionally perform assembly and functional testing of mechanical systems in a prototype assembly lab.
The ideal candidate would have all of the following skills.
- Must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
- Minimum of five years of mechanical design and fabrication/assembly experience; no maximum.
- Mechanical Engineering Technology degree (AS) or similar is a plus.
- Ability and willingness to travel to customer sites (within and outside of California).
- Journeyman or higher level (more than 5,000 hours) of experience with solid design (3-D modeling) and drafting (2-D). SolidWorks experience is essential. Experience with other CAD packages, such as Siemens NX or Autodesk Inventor, is a plus. Experience with managing large assemblies in a CAD environment is a plus.
- Ability to make drawings that satisfy ASME Y14.5 GD&T standards.
- Ability to select and size appropriate hardware from commercial off-the-shelf inventory for mechanical designs.
- Excellent English verbal and written communication skills allowing for preparation of clear and precise documentation.
- Strong technical (mechanical) and interpersonal skills.
- Experience with machine tools (mill, lathe, drill press, etc.) is an advantage.
How to Apply
We appreciate your interest in ATA Engineering and request that you submit the following materials if you are qualified and wish to join our team of employee-owners at ATA Engineering:
- A current resume or CV.
- A copy of your up-to-date college transcripts. You may email them, or request that an official transcript be sent directly to the address below. If your transcript contains identifying information such as Social Security Number and/or date of birth, please delete this information prior to submitting your transcripts.
- A statement regarding your U.S. citizenship.
Please note: we prefer electronic copies of all documents, but you may also mail them to the address below if necessary. Many of our contracts require access to government, defense, and classified information. We cannot consider your application unless you are a U.S. citizen or U.S. Permanent Resident. Unless you specifically state otherwise in your cover letter or email, you will be considered for all current openings at all ATA locations. Once we have reviewed your qualifications, you will be contacted by email regarding the status of your application.
Email all documents to firstname.lastname@example.org
Or mail them to:
Manager, Human Resources
ATA Engineering, Inc.
13290 Evening Creek Drive South, Suite 250
San Diego, CA 92128
ATA Engineering, Inc., is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We encourage minorities, women, veterans, and people with disabilities to apply.