ATA Engineering, 13290 Evening Creek Drive South, San Diego, California 92128
ATA is seeking a mechanical designer with a strong interest in designing and supporting fabrication and testing activities for all types of mechanical hardware across a variety of industries, including themed entertainment, aerospace and defense, and industrial machinery. The successful candidate will be able to quickly adapt to new projects, support multiple concurrent projects, collaborate frequently with small and medium-sized engineering teams, and be open to occasional travel to customer sites. Professional experience working with SolidWorks, NX, or a similar CAD program (modeling and drafting) is essential. This is a full-time position (40 hours per week with benefits and occasional overtime). ATA is headquartered in San Diego, California, but serves clients globally. This opportunity is based in our San Diego office.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop 3D CAD models and production-ready drawings, in collaboration with engineering team, to support design, documentation, fabrication, assembly, and other product development activities.
- Produce and review production-ready assembly and detail drawings, applying annotations, notes, and geometric dimensioning and tolerancing (GD&T) elements consistent with the ASME Y14.5 standard.
- Produce other design documentation such as parts lists, schematics, and design review materials.
- Apply basic design principles to identify, size, and select commercial off-the-shelf mechanical components for engineering designs.
- Maintain and apply fundamental knowledge of manufacturing processes for commonly used engineering materials.
- Apply basic design principles in developing and checking structural and mechanical designs, including connections.
- Interface with suppliers to support the procurement of prototype or production components and assemblies.
- Occasionally support fabrication and functional testing of mechanical systems.
The ideal candidate would have all of the following skills.
- Must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
- Mechanical Engineering Technology degree (AS or BS) or similar; alternatively, three or more years of mechanical design and/or fabrication and assembly experience.
- Ability and willingness to travel to customer sites (within and outside of California).
- Substantial professional experience with solid design (3D modeling) and computer-aided drafting (2D). Recent experience with SolidWorks or Siemens NX (or both) is a significant advantage. Experience with other 3D or 2D CAD packages, such as Creo, Inventor, and AutoCAD, will be considered. Experience with managing large assemblies in a CAD environment is a plus.
- Ability to make drawings consistent with the ASME Y14.5 GD&T standards.
- Ability to select and size appropriate hardware from commercial off-the-shelf inventory for mechanical designs.
- Excellent English verbal and written communication skills enabling preparation of clear and precise documentation.
- Strong technical skills (engineering software, mechanical aptitude, office and productivity software).
- Strong interpersonal skills and experience working in technical teams.
- Ability to work productively without close supervision.
- Experience designing flight hardware including the following elements is a plus: mechanisms, flexures, honeycomb panels, composites, glass, optical components, and mechanical fasteners.
- Experience designing ground-based mechanical equipment and heavy structures (bolted construction and/or welded) is a plus.
- Experience designing mechatronic and robotic systems is a plus.
- Experience with machine tools (mill, lathe, drill press, etc.) is a plus.
Relocation assistance is not available for this position.
How to Apply
We appreciate your interest in ATA Engineering and request that you submit the following materials if you are qualified and wish to join our team of employee-owners at ATA Engineering:
- A current résumé or CV
- A copy of your up-to-date college transcripts. You may email them, or request that an official transcript be sent directly to the address below. If your transcript contains identifying information such as Social Security Number and/or date of birth, please delete this information prior to submitting your transcripts.
- A statement regarding your U.S. citizenship
Please note: we prefer electronic copies of all documents, but you may also mail them to the address below if necessary. Many of our contracts require access to government, defense, and classified information. We cannot consider your application unless you are a U.S. citizen or U.S. Permanent Resident. Unless you specifically state otherwise in your cover letter or email, you will be considered for all current openings at all ATA locations. Once we have reviewed your qualifications, you will be contacted by email regarding the status of your application.
Email all documents to email@example.com
Or mail them to:
Manager, Human Resources
ATA Engineering, Inc.
13290 Evening Creek Drive South
San Diego, CA 92128
ATA Engineering, Inc., is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request an accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access our career center as a result of your disability. To request an accommodation, contact an ATA Engineering, Inc., Human Resources Representative at firstname.lastname@example.org.