This position is available in all of our locations. If you have a preferred location please specify when you apply.
ATA is seeking a Proposal Manager to lead the development of the company’s major proposals, with emphasis on proposals submitted to the Federal Government’s Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) and Small Business Technology Transfer (STTR) programs. In concert with ATA’s NTD and BD team members, the Proposal Manager orchestrates the proposal creation process in response to commercial and U.S. Government solicitations (Requests for Proposals [RFPs], Broad Agency Announcements [BAAs], Requests for Information [RFIs], etc.). The Proposal Manager is responsible for creating competitive and compelling submissions by developing new content and integrating proposal team input, while ensuring compliance with format/structure requirements. Strong technical and persuasive writing skills, along with group leadership interpersonal skills, are critical to the success of the candidate. The position is supported by a team of technical editors. The successful candidate will have proficiency with mechanical or aerospace engineering disciplines with an interest in communicating technical and organizational value to prospective customers by way of the company’s proposal documents.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Drive the overall proposal document development process by coordinating teams of business development, engineering, technical editing, and management staff:
- Position based in one of several ATA offices (San Diego, CA; El Segundo, CA; Denver, CO; Huntsville, AL; Herndon, VA; Albuquerque, NM)
- Experience developing SBIR/STTR proposals a plus. Related experience in automotive, aerospace, defense, or other mechanical engineering also a plus.
- Have an ability to thrive in a dynamic, technical environment that demands multi-tasking, extracting the value proposition from innovative engineering methods in a variety of disciplines, and interfacing with multiple proposal teams simultaneously.
- Coordinate and lead proposal development:
- Develop and manage multiple proposal teams during the proposal development process, working with account management to identify and assign key proposal section stakeholders (technical, management, security, résumés, past performance, etc.) and allocate proposal personnel and resources.
- Manage the proposal process from RFP release to client delivery. This responsibility includes owning the document, communicating proposal needs and expectations to the team, setting and maintaining internal draft deadlines, writing, editing, and proofreading complex proposals, completing government forms, and carrying out quality control document checks to ensure that all client requirements are met.
- Guide proposal document production through preparation, incorporation, editing, and final delivery of all proposal sections (Past Performance, Commercialization Plan Technical Approach, Pricing) and required Government forms. This activity includes directing and coordinating the activities of proposal volume leads, technical authors, and subcontractors/consultants to produce high-quality, winning proposals. Schedule and manage reviews to ensure that all responses are compelling, compliant, and well written.
- Work closely with the account manager or business development manager to develop and articulate technical and management solutions for proposals, whitepapers, presentations, and other business materials.
- Prepare detailed proposal plans, schedules, outlines, and compliance matrices. Lead effective storyboarding and development of strategic win themes and discriminators. Manage writing assignments and receipt of all proposal materials with authors and teaming partners in accordance with the project timeline.
- Lead/mentor less experienced proposal staff and proposal writers.
- Analyze solicitations (RFP, RFQ, RFI, etc.) along with other customer requirements and communications, and determine final document structure.
- Serve as SBIR/STTR proposal point-person:
- Coordinate company response to regular SBIR/STTR solicitation cycles from DoD, NASA, and other relevant agencies.
- Work with prospective principal investigators, technical directors, and account managers to assign writing responsibilities, establish internal review timelines, and craft compelling proposal narratives.
- Review and edit contributors’ content (technical plans, prior work, future related research, etc.) for effective communication and document consistency.
- Lead creation of commercialization plan and technology transition strategy (and authoring of corresponding proposal sections) for each SBIR/STTR proposal. Conduct supporting market research, pro forma forecasting, and competitive analysis.
- Develop and maintain document templates to ensure compliance with current instructions.
- Participate in ongoing education opportunities to stay apprised of current SBIR/STTR policies and best practices.
- Oversee the development and submission of several proposals in each Phase I/Phase II agency solicitation cycle.
- Lead proposal process improvement:
- Establish, document, and manage a proposal color team review process.
- Facilitate the use of various proposal tools, work products, and techniques to direct the proposal team to write a proposal that fully executes the win strategy.
- Curate collection of common proposal collateral (résumés, prior work descriptions, etc.).
- Incorporate lessons learned from prior proposal debriefings into shared best practices and proposal approaches.
- Guide proposal content creation and refinement:
- Write certain proposal sections or whole proposals.
- Manage technical writing assignments to ensure that proposal sections are well written, consistent, responsive, compliant, and effective.
- Review proposal sections developed by members of proposal teams, provide guidance and recommendations, and edit sections as appropriate to achieve a proposal-appropriate voice and narrative.
- Participate in meetings and planning sessions with ATA BD and NTD teams, and coordinate continual proposal process improvement with those teams.
- Spearhead creative development of figures and visual content to support communication of technical concepts.
- Learn ATA products and services, management, staff, and company culture to provide customer service that meets ATA’s high standards of excellence:
- Become familiar with recent and current projects in every ATA technical discipline.
- Develop the experience and capability to take a lead role in understanding the technical requirements for business opportunities.
- BS/BA in a related field of study (engineering, technical writing) with 5+ years of relevant experience in Proposal Coordination and/or Business Development, and Capture Management
or Masters with 3+ years of relevant experience
- Mechanical or aerospace engineering background (particularly fluid dynamic and thermodynamic analysis) desired
- Strong technical and interpersonal skills
- Excellent English verbal and written communication skills
- Expertise with MS Office suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) and PDF programs
- Must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Communicate well in the English language in person, in written documents, via email, and by telephone
- Able to spend long periods of time at a computer to prepare proposals, reports, and other written documents
- Able to sit for long periods of time to participate in meetings and conference calls
- Able to travel to any and all customer sites via airplane or ground transportation
- Able to lift up to 50 Ib as necessary for transportation of laptop, luggage, etc.
- Willing to accept reasonable accommodations when traveling for work purposes
- Able to be mobile for up to twelve hours in a workday (conference booth monitoring, traveling to and from customer sites, etc.)
How to Apply
We appreciate your interest in ATA Engineering and request that you submit the following materials if you are qualified and wish to join our team of employee-owners at ATA Engineering:
- A current resume or CV.
- A copy of your up-to-date college transcripts. You may email them, or request that an official transcript be sent directly to the address below. If your transcript contains identifying information such as Social Security Number and/or date of birth, please delete this information prior to submitting your transcripts.
- A statement regarding your U.S. citizenship.
Please note: we prefer electronic copies of all documents, but you may also mail them to the address below if necessary. Many of our contracts require access to government, defense, and classified information. We cannot consider your application unless you are a U.S. citizen or U.S. Permanent Resident. Unless you specifically state otherwise in your cover letter or email, you will be considered for all current openings at all ATA locations. Once we have reviewed your qualifications, you will be contacted by email regarding the status of your application.
Email all documents to email@example.com
Or mail them to:
Manager, Human Resources
ATA Engineering, Inc.
13290 Evening Creek Drive South
San Diego, CA 92128
ATA Engineering, Inc., is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request an accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access our career center as a result of your disability. To request an accommodation, contact an ATA Engineering, Inc., Human Resources Representative at firstname.lastname@example.org.