Chemically Active Systems Analysis Engineer
Chemically Active Systems Analysis Engineer
This position is available in all of our locations. If you have a preferred location please specify when you apply.
ATA is seeking an engineer interested in applying analytical skills to conduct both research and applied project work involving the design, engineering, and analysis of chemically active systems, including aerothermal, composite manufacturing, and propulsion systems.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform aerospace and mechanical engineering analysis project work with emphasis on solving problems requiring expertise in analysis of chemically active systems. Applications may include in-flight aerothermal charring and ablation, atomistic modeling of composite material manufacturing processes, reacting flow modeling, and gas-phase or solid/gas chemical kinetic modeling.
- Participate in and lead IRAD and sponsored research (e.g., SBIR/STTR) in development of novel analytical tools and multiphysics computational methods for chemically active systems. This research may include modeling and analysis of composite thermal protection systems (TPS), material manufacturing, gas-surface chemical kinetics in high-enthalpy environments, combustion, non-equilibrium plume modeling, hypersonic dissociation, and thermal non-equilibrium.
- Write proposals, technical reports, and papers.
- Provide results to clients that satisfy quality, cost, schedule, and other project specifications.
- Prepare and give oral presentations to clients and at technical conferences.
- Individuals with a strong analytical background in any of the following technical areas are encouraged to apply:
- Aerothermodynamics and ablation in hypersonic flight environments
- Atomistic modeling of composite material manufacturing processes
- Gas-surface chemical kinetics
- Chemical kinetic mechanism development and reduction
- Material, thermal, or fluid characteristics of hypersonic flight
- B.S., M.S., or Ph.D. in Aerospace, Mechanical, Chemical Engineering, or Materials Science with excellent academic record.
- Strong analytical background in one or more of the following areas: aerothermodynamics, composite material science, material response and ablation, analytical composite manufacturing, reacting flows, or physical chemistry.
- Willingness to travel and work at client sites.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Candidate must be a US Person and eligible to access government and Department of Defense classified facilities.
- Experience with any of the following is a plus:
- Knowledge of atomistic modeling and molecular dynamics methods.
- Programming in Python, C++, Fortran, MATLAB
- Finite element analysis software (Abaqus, NX, ANSYS)
- Computational fluid dynamics software (STAR-CCM+, Fluent, Loci/CHEM)
Salary Ranges (2023):
- Entry–Mid Career Level: $70,000–$155,000 per year
- Manager/Director Level: $125,000–$275,000 per year
How to Apply
We appreciate your interest in ATA Engineering and request that you submit the following materials if you are qualified and wish to join our team of employee-owners at ATA Engineering:
- A current résumé or CV.
- A copy of your up-to-date college transcripts. You may email them, or request that an official transcript be sent directly to the address below. If your transcript contains identifying information such as Social Security Number and/or date of birth, please delete this information prior to submitting your transcripts.
- A statement confirming that you meet the definition of a US person as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.15.
Please note: we prefer electronic copies of all documents, but you may also mail them to the address below if necessary. Many of our contracts require access to government, defense, and classified information. We cannot consider your application unless you are a US Person. Unless you specifically state otherwise in your cover letter or email, you will be considered for all current openings at all ATA locations. Once we have reviewed your qualifications, you will be contacted by email regarding the status of your application.
Email all documents to [email protected]
Or mail them to:
Manager, Human Resources
ATA Engineering, Inc.
13290 Evening Creek Drive South
San Diego, CA 92128
ATA Engineering, Inc., is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy or related medical condition, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression), national origin, age, disability, medical condition, genetic information, veteran status, marital status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request an accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access our career center as a result of your disability. To request an accommodation, contact an ATA Engineering, Inc., Human Resources Representative at [email protected].